The safety and health of the people who participate in or may be affected by a research project is an inherent and fundamental aspect of the project itself.
A viable and sustainable research project must consider these aspects.
Context of Prevention
- In Spain: regulated by regulations, which can be found classified by different aspects at: https://www.insst.es/normativa
- At the University of Valladolid: summary of the context within the UVa (document)
Prevention Plan of the University of Valladolid:
At the University of Valladolid there is a risk assessment of each job and each workplace, you can consult it in the employee portal (access with e-nif and password) by clicking on the drop-down boards and selecting Documents Risk Assessments, and there download all the files with the positions and places of your building).
The University of Valladolid integrates Occupational Risk Prevention in its:
What should I know if I work with...?
1.1 Basic recommendations
Remember that when developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) you must also include all necessary considerations for the safety and health of the people performing the work and the laboratory.
1.2 Handling of chemicals
- Solvent Hazards
- GHS Chemical Labeling; Frases H y P. Sistema Globalmente Armonizado (English/ Spanish)
- Safety data sheets Make sure you read the safety data sheets of all substances you use! Your safety depends on it! They must be provided by your supplier. In case of need, you can consult the FISQ catalog in Spanish on the INSST website.
- Storage of chemical products, safety manual of the warehouse at Miguel Delibes Campus
- Storage, use and transport of cylinders of compressed, liquefied and dissolved gases under pressure (717 kbytes) The link, makes you download the file on your computer
- Pesticides The link, makes you download the file on your computer
- UVa Waste Plan, Environmental Quality Office. All waste must be properly labeled, labels can be downloaded from my portal (access with enif and password), selecting profile (PDI or PAS) and entering Waste Management (within More UVa).
- The INSST Chemical Risks Portal can provide you with almost everything you may need to know about this topic.
- Preventive Guide Biological Agents (UVa)
- The INSST Biological Risks Portal can provide you with almost everything you may need to know about this topic.
- Infographics of accidents with biological material
1.1 Ionizing radiation
To work with ionizing radiation you have to take into account radiological protection. In Spain this has a special regulation. It is the mission of the CSN to protect workers, the population and the environment from the harmful effects of ionizing radiation. The necessary requirements to work with ionizing radiation (depending on the type of work / exposure) can be found in the CSN Radiation Protection Portal and further information can be found in the INSST Ionizing Radiation Risk Portal.
22.214.171.124 UV: effects on human health
126.96.36.199 IR: infrared
188.8.131.52 Lasers: risk classification, Safety instructions for the use of laser equipment
More complementary information can be found in the INSST Optical Radiation Portal
1.2.2 Electromagnetic fields (EMF)
Depending on the frequency of the fields or if they are static fields, the circumstances regarding risk prevention are different(list of INSST NTP regarding EMF)
More complementary information can be found in the INSST Magnetic Fields Portal
1.2.3 Extreme Thermal Environments: Technical Notes for Prevention Reference (INSST)
From an equivalent daily exposure of more than 80 dB(A), an intervention is necessary. Consult your occupational risk assessment in the employee portal (access with e-nif and password). Due to the type of activity at UVa, noise above 80 dB(A) is only present at specific locations.
More information can be found in the INSST Noise Portal.
If your research work involves field work outside the UVa facilities, design your intervention always taking into account the possible sources of risks that you are going to have and the preventive measures to adopt. For any questions please contact us, UVa Prevention Service.
If you are going to work in the facilities of another company or entity, they will usually ask you for a series of requirements to comply with the regulations of business coordination in risk prevention (art. 24 of the Prevention Law and RD 171/2004). Find out in advance what the host company will ask you (medical examinations, specific training in prevention, other documentation) and contact us, the Uva Prevention Service to help you and ensure that the UVa will comply with all these legal requirements.
If you are going abroad due to your research, please also contact us, the el UVa Prevention Service, so that we can guarantee that the Mutual de Accidentes Laborales will take care of you in the event of an accident at work (it only covers accidents at work, not for other activities).
Occasionally there is an issue in the research that requires some basic maintenance tasks to be performed by the researcher, for which you may need to know the following prevention aspects:
Prevention of dorsolumbar injuries in load handling (552 kbytes) Watch out, the link makes you download the file to your computer.
Basic rules in electrical installations Watch out, the link makes you download the file to your computer.
Safety, prevention and other considerations
When neither organizational measures nor collective protection measures are sufficient to protect the worker from all risks, individual protection measures must be used. To help in the choice of PPE in the university environment you have at your disposal this Guide (click on the link).
Further information can be found in the INSST PPE Portal
1.1 Emergency regulations
- Video in english
- Self-protection and emergency plans in the University of Valladolid buildings
- Written rules
- Meeting points of all the centers with the telephone numbers of the concierges' offices
1.2 First Aid
Action in case of common accidents in a laboratory (link to poster in A2 resolution, see video, includes: poisoning, cuts with abundant bleeding, burns due to chemicals or heat or cold, splashes in the eyes, electrocution, etc.).
If you are hired by the University of Valladolid, please inform the Prevention Service, al at email@example.com as soon as possible so that we can study your position and UVa can guarantee the safety and health of both you and your fetus.
This is especially important if your research may involve chemical, physical or biological agents.
UVA video against mobbing; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VqheBVNVhU
Video on ventilation in UVA classrooms and workspaces; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmqkc1O0vVU